Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

January 24, 2009

Master Gardener week I

This week was the first one for my master gardener class so I thought I might start a regular habit of posting up a couple of the things that we covered each week and what it was all about.

Day one:
The first class was on Wednesday and, since it was the first class of the series, we just kind of went over the basics of what is required of us. One of the original purposes of the Master Gardener program was to offer affordable training to the public in horticulture and agriculture in return for their participation and volunteer time helping to diagnose problems and offer instruction to the public as an authorized representative of the Land Grant University in the area. Ours happens to be Utah State college.

Everyone in the program that wishes to complete the course and be officially "Certified" as USU Master Gardeners will need to complete 40 hours this year in volunteer time at least 10 of which will be served performing diagnostic services for the public. One benefit of the program is that we will be provided with a very thick folder (about 4.5 in.)that, from what I understand, will be filled with information when the class is completed. That's a good thing if you take into consideration that the instructor warned us that the amount of information that will be imparted to us is about on the ratio of 1 class period = one semester in the University Ag program.

Day Two
Today was day two and we covered the way in which plants are classified (family, genus, species, etc.), what the basic parts of a plant are and much other such info. It's a lot like going back to high school biology.So much information to absorb, so little time! At least we don't have to take any tests to complete the class.

That's about all I have for this week, but stay tuned next Saturday. I'll make sure I post up something for each class.
All the best to you all, have a great weekend!
P~

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hot burn of jealousy washes across my face. AAARRGH!

I have been desperately wanting to be a master gardener, but have been unable to find a class that fits my schedule.

I am really looking forward to the updates, and, in point of fact, all of your posts. Any changes to the greenhouse plans?

Take it easy!!

Chicago Mike

Anonymous said...

I'll follow your MG posts with interest. I'm planning to apply for the program this year, if they actually run it this year. They had a MG glut last year in our area, so no program. If it's on, I don't think they'll even take applicants for a few more months at least.

Chiot's Run said...

Very interesting. I've thought about doing this but the thought of teaching others afterwards is a bit much for an introvert like me.

ilex said...

Congratulations, sir! This is on my shortlist of things to do. I look forward to watching your progress.

Anonymous said...

I just took a look (again) at the MG classes and found out that Illinois is updating their manual for the 2010 classes. Will have to try again.

It is hard to make a commitment for one weekday a week for 11 weeks. They require 100% attendance. Between a job, a toddler, and two older kids I will have to do a pretty substantial sales job to convince the wife.

Chicago Mike

Anonymous said...

Hey Suzy,

What is it you think you are doing with your blog?

The only difference is that you have to actually look at people. And those people could be little ones or elder ones.

I am sure you could do it!

Chicago Mike

Rosengeranium said...

Envy! I wish Sweden had a similar program!

P~ said...

Hey Mike~ I know the feeling. I wanted to attend this class for about the last four years. I never was able to find a class that was available at night, so I finally just made the decision that if it's important enough to me, I can make a little sacrifice. With the blessing of my boss, I am taking the class during the days. The classes are from 9:30 to 11:30 wednesday and fridays. I end up short about 6 hrs a day that I have to either come in early or stay late to comp for. I think in the long run it'll be worth it though.

Kate~ Best of luck getting to take it.

Chiots~ You could totally do it! besides, There are lots of different ways to volunteer. You should check it out.

Ilex~ I think you'd love it! In a couple of weeks we're doing plant propagation. Can't wait for that class!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it p! Looks like a lot of fun! :)

Kory said...

Another jealous post, there is no master gardener program in my county, there is a tree steward program that I might join, but alas, no MG for me just yet.