Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

February 13, 2011

The Most Local Meat

In a follow up to the last post that I put up, regarding my search for more sustainable and local meat sources I thought I'd share with you one of the most local sources of meat that I have access to. FISH!

Since just after the new year, our local reservoirs and lakes have been frozen over and ice fishing has been good. I grew up in Southern California, and access to fresh seafood was never an issue, but I really hate to buy seafood here in the Intermountain west, because anything that I get has to be trucked in and is never as fresh as it could be and also has a pretty significant carbon foot print. That isn't even taking into consideration the issues of overfishing of our oceans that really needs to be a concern of everyone.

With the lakes frozen and the ice fishing on, none of those things are a concern.


This reservoir is only a half hour drive from our house, and is close enough that within 1 hour I can be on the lake fishing. What more could I ask for? Well, except for maybe actually catching something that is... And I had a little of that luck too lately.


These little guys averaged 12-15 inches and were plentiful the last few times I've been up.

The funny thing, is that I know Trout are a members of the salmonid family, but in the winter it seems they really live up to their family name, look at how orange and salmon color they were.


AND, they were delicious too. No complaints here at all.
Anyone else been out on the ice or bringing in their own "wild" meat sources? I'd love to hear about it.
Take Care.
P~

4 comments:

Lynda said...

I have never ice fished...but I fish. I am so jealous of your trout. I won't be getting my pole ready until it warms up a bit: I fly fish. And congratulations on finding some *local* meat!

Damn The Broccoli said...

I've always listened with some amusement when Fishermen say we need to fish to make our living, when quota's are cut. They don't seem to stop and think that in ten years time they won't have any choice then!

There is nothing I used to like more than spending a summers day fishing for trout. It is something I ought to get back into but the local fishing here is the Leeds Liverpool Canal and that isn't really the best place unless you are after an old shopping basket.

Damn The Broccoli said...

I've always listened with some amusement when Fishermen say we need to fish to make our living, when quota's are cut. They don't seem to stop and think that in ten years time they won't have any choice then!

There is nothing I used to like more than spending a summers day fishing for trout. It is something I ought to get back into but the local fishing here is the Leeds Liverpool Canal and that isn't really the best place unless you are after an old shopping basket.

P~ said...

Lynda, I've only just been going the last few years but have been having a great time at it. I love fly fishing too, its really up here too.
brocc, sorry to hear it.