Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

February 15, 2011

Planning the planting

I dug out the seed storage tonight for a little inventory. A few of the seeds that we have are getting a little old so will need to be replaced, but the bulk of the seed we have should be good to go. This year I'm doing something that I should have been doing all along... making a checklist of the seeds that I have and the plants I want to grow and will bring that with me when I go to buy my seed. I buy most of my seed through Mountain Valley Seeds. I get no support from them, so that's not why I mention them, (although I'm not opposed to it if they want to contact me...) I like to go through them because they are based out of SLC, so they are local, plus I am able to get much of my seed from local vendors or nursarys and save myself and the planet the shipping costs. Also, they do a really good job of marking what is hybrid and what is open pollenated or heirloom.

The plant list for this year looks like this:
broccoli,
broccoli romanesco,
brussels sprouts,
cabbage (red & green),
spinach,
carrots,
peas (shelling &sugar snap),
kohlrabi
green beans,
peppers:
green, red, yellow, jalapenos
tomatoes: roma, heartland,
hamson, hillbilly, amish, cherry
fennel
onions : green, yellow and red
shallots,
eggplant,
zucchini,
Charentais melons, butternut squash,
okra,
artichokes,
dry beans,
sweet potato,
celeriac,
kale (italian &curly),
cucumber,
tomatillos

herbs:
basil,
thyme,
parsley,
rosemary,
oregano,
cilantro,
hops,
tobacco,
chamomile,
echinacea,
mint,
peppermint
dill

It's ambitious for certain, but not really hugely more than we've grown before. There are a couple of new additions though worth mentioning, for instance tobacco which can be used as an organic pesticide, and hops for home beer making. (That will be covered in a forthcoming post.) Either way, after last years miserable failure, we are really going after it this year.

Anyone else getting started with their plant lists or garden planning yet? Planning any new trial plants this year?
Love to hear about it
P~
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

5 comments:

Lynda said...

I'm lucky enough to be able to garden year round. I'm always planting and planning...I love it.
I'm weeding out old seeds, too. I count out 10 wrap them in a wet paper towel and if 50% germ I keep them if not they get scattered in the compost heap. Sometimes my compost looks like a big mountain of garden!

Pat said...

I planted snow peas the other day.

One thing I did in the fall was divide up my seeds by packed-for dates and repackaged them that way. It's really easy to tell what needs planting at a glance using that method.

RSG (showing off my new site)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you posting again on your blog. I really enjoy your blog and it's nice to read about someone gardening in my area. I to love mountain valley seeds and I almost always buy from them. You have to support the local guys!! My list looks pretty similar to yours, I have already started some seeds indoors, lettuce and other greens that will go out in the cold frame in just a few weeks!!! - Rick

Brad Fallon said...

This is a great help to mother earth. Let's make our environment clean and green. This would definitely stop global warming and other disastrous calamities.

P~ said...

@Lynda, I do the same thing when I want to check germination. anything less than 50%, it's not worth the effort. Another way to thin seeds is to share them with other gardeners. Especially if you have a friend or know a beginning gerdener that is low on funds. "Sharing is caring" right?

@Pat, That's a great idea. I separate mine in a similar way, in groupings of types, like brassicas (broccoli cabbages), Solanaceaes tomatoes, eggplants, peppers), or cucurbits (squashes)that all get planted at about the same time.

@Rick, Cool, glad to know there are some other locals, don't be a stranger. Also, there's an email address under my profile. feel free to write sometime.