Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

April 12, 2009

I got it done finally.
This was one of those projects that's been in the works for a long time. As I said before, we actually planned for this from the time we build our home. I had the plumbing put in at build time and have "back-burnered" it for a long time. (Over five years!!)
You might also notice that large white contraption sitting on the counter on the left side. That's a scale that we were actually able to salvage out of one of the homes down the street before it was torn down. It's one of the old dial -type scales but is slightly off. I will be taking it apart and repairing it some time in the future, but for now, I found that with the large colander, it zero's out at 2.0 lbs exactly. Until I get it repaired we'll just subtract 2 lbs from all measured harvests.
Now, I just need to get some veggies growing. And on that note, I've been hardening off some of my starts from the seed starter and they'll be going into the ground this week.
This is the back porch...or in this case the hardening shelves. On the top shelf to the left is a variety of lettuces and some Swiss chard. Top Right has Broccoli and Kale and the bottom shelf is all kohlrabi, cabbage and kale as well. These are ones that I started in the basement a few weeks ago and are all cold weather crops. I've already gotten a second batch started right in the beds too, but these will mature earlier and will be the first to harvest. Oh how I look forward to it!!
I hope you all had a great weekend. Catch you tomorrow.
P~

8 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

It's always exciting to be hardening off plants! I need to harden off my broccoli & cabbage, but I don't want to do it too early, I've read that they will produce smaller heads when they're put out too early in temps below the 50's.

Amanda R. said...

Your starts look so healthy! I am jealous. I didn't get a chance to start any with the move, so I will be direct sowing.

Rosengeranium said...

Like Amanda say - they look so healthy. I keep my fingers crossed that they'll stay that way!

I tagged you in a meme to see what you're doing for earth month :) There are prizes involved -- Hope you'll join in :)

ChicagoMike said...

That work area is awesome. The advance planning to have the sink is a huge win.

I have pictures of my outdoor exploits on freedomgardens, but should put some pics of my seedlings up.

With Best Regard,

ChicagoMike

Irma said...

Not on topic, but I am all about my peas....I will definitely be trying your super intensive pea planting experiment once the SNOW is finally gone from my yard. Grr!! I take solace in knowing that I will be quite a few weeks behind you, so if you realize your plants are too close or have any other problem, I will be able to course correct. I will definitely let you know how the method works in my Eastern Canadian garden.

Jon said...

This is off topic but I thought you would enjoy this article on how to plant potatoes in a very small area. If you try it out I would be interested in seeing how it works.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/homegarden/2002347126_potatoes25.html

Eva said...

That sink looks great, and I know it will get lots of use! Every garden needs a sink to go with it. Your starts look amazing, glad it is finally warming up a bit for you guys.

Best of Luck!

P~ said...

Chiots~ well, I hope I hardened them off well. It's snowing outside today and the temps have dropped off precipitously.

Good luck Amanda, You've got a long summer ahead of you with that new yard of yours.

Rosengeranium~ I'll do my best to try to put something up in response. I've been SUPER busy lately, and honestly, I'm terrible at following up on Memes. (sorry)

Mike~ I checked the progress on your terracing work today...Looking good man!

Irma~ I'm glad to have you using me for your guinea pig. So far so good, they're all popping up nicely.

dovh49~ I actually tried container growing potatoes last year and was not very successful. If your trying it, I'd love to hear about your results!

Eva~ thanks, I hope the warm weather comes back soon. It's cold again here...Dangit!