Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

May 9, 2007

Low Impact Week Goals

Crunchy Chicken posted some great ideas over on the main Low Impact Week section of her blog. Many of these we already do around our home, I won't go into them in much detail because I see this challenge as being about what new things we can do to conserve and reduce our impact; suffice it to say that we do at least some of the ideas in all of her suggestion sections. I personally have come up with what I think are reasonable next steps for myself, and that I will be focusing on for that week. They are as follows:

  1. Unplugging appliances when not in use. TVs, Computer, Radios, Printer.
  2. I will decide to not watch television for that week. I certainly have enough reading to catch up on.
  3. Turn off water when brushing teeth, and/or shaving.
  4. No take out food, and no restaurants.
  5. I will eat as much as possible from my home grown foods, and choose locally produced foods whenever available.
  6. I will use a washable towel for hand washing and cleaning both at home and at work.
  7. I will not drive to work. (This is my biggie.) I will instead use pedal power.
  8. I have a compost bin, but I will make a bigger one from recyled materials, and will compost as much of my household waste as possible.
  9. I will use organic and/or homemade cleaners to do all of my household cleaning and washing. (This is a change that our household plans to make on a permanent basis.)

This is the list I have come up with. I think it includes a fairly well rounded grouping of tasks from all areas. I will commit to these for the duration of the Low Impact Week and will keep you updated on my progress and impressions of each of them. In the coming weeks I will prepare for these actions by assesing what needs I will have during that time to make sure that I am successful. Some actions like number 9 I will begin to phase into as our current cleaners are expended so I may actually begin prior to the Low Impact Week start.

If anyone reading this plans to participate in this challenge, I encourage you to either post your action items in the comments here or at Crunchy Chickens blog, and look forward to participating with you.

4 comments:

Crunchy Chicken said...

Go, Patrik, Go!

Anonymous said...

Hey - great to read your list - I am working on mine - cloth bum wipes for the kids are on the list - and I am thinking of washing out of a bucket rather than having a shower - we have really strict water restrictions here and they are talking about not having enough water to keep our power stations running continuously next summer - so it might be worthwhile getting used to it!

P~ said...

CC, Thanks for the link over to here, I'm shocked at how many new visitors I've had. We'll see if any of them decide to come back after the LIW is over?

gwyn, thanks, I look forward to seeing your list when you have it. Post me a link so I can check it out. Where are you living that is already showing low water?
Thanks for stopping by.

Crunchy Chicken said...

Firehose, eh? Today should be even more crazy...