Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

June 8, 2008

The First Class

Well I held my first organic gardening class this Saturday. Without sounding too full of myself, I'd like to say that I thought it was a smashing success. The numbers weren't huge, there were 7 people and myself, but the ones that did come out really were the exact kind of people that I was hoping to have. I had prepared to give a pretty traditional class where I would talk and the others would listen and maybe ask a few questions. That wasn't what I was hoping for, but I prepared for it as a "just in case" measure. When the people started filing in, I felt there was an immediate connection and the questions came quickly. I decided to start at the beginning as I see it, and talked about siting, sun, soil and water. We talked a lot about how to improve our poor native soil (heavy clay and sand.) with composting and double digging and about understanding our land and it's micro climates. I brought along one of my potted potato plants to make the point that as urban farmers we really have the opportunity to think outside the [garden] box; it was a big hit and solicited quite a few questions. Everyone said they definitely will see me next week, so I'll take that as a good sign! I even had a couple of them suggest that I needed to get involved with our local farmers market committee. I will admit that it's on my radar, but one cause at a time I guess.
The greatest thing that I think I was able to take from the class was the very thing that I had hoped for. I felt a kinship with others in my community that feel that same way that I do about our need to take back ownership over our food supply. I feel like it may be the beginning of a positive network of community growers. I couldn't ask for more.
Finally, I just wanted to take a second to say thank you to my wife A~. Without her believing in me, I don't think I would have had the guts to put myself out there like I did. I love ya sweetie, Thanks!
In other news, we held the wake for my uncle Ted at our home for my extended family to get together. It went well I think and I got to re-meet a lot of second cousins and great aunts and uncles that I rarely see. We enjoyed a DVD that my father put together for the event and shared some great stories. I think the closure process has begun. Thank you to all of you, family and friends, that left comments and well wishes after his passing. It means so much to me to know our family is in your thoughts and prayers.
Hope you all had a great weekend.
P~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! SO glad it went well for you and your students. Who knows where this small step will lead!

Eva said...

Wow! Good for you. It takes a lot of courage to hold a class and teach others... at least in my opinion. =)I think it is so wonderful that you are sharing your knowledge.

Anonymous said...

This made me smile. I think what you've done, for yourself and your community, is commendable. Well done, Patric. I hope this is the first of many classes. We need more people like you, P.

Robbyn said...

We're really excited for you, Patrik! You and your wife seem like such a complementary team...it's great you're out in the community; the enthusiasm is contagious and the time is right! Keep up the great work :)

han_ysic said...

That's great!! Hope next week is even better.

Phelan said...

Wonderful news. You have inspired me to start a local food cooking class.

Wakes are a wonderful way to celbrate life. I hope you waked well.

( I know you read my blog, but some of your readers don't so I will explain myself so that I don't get hate mail. To wake well is to both grieve and rejoice. Waking is how we remember the life that the person had lived. My family is traditionlly Irish and we wake for three days. Waking my father and my son did me a world of good. It is a wonderful tradition even if many people look down on it. ) I will raise my glass in your uncle's name P~