Welcome

Welcome All! I'm a dreamer, I hope you are too! A Posse ad Esse, or From possibility to reality, is a general state of mind. I hope you'll share your possibilities with me as I will with you. Namaste~

July 29, 2008

The Big Weigh-In 2008 7/28 (83 lbs)

OK, so the numbers aren't as impressive as 6000 lbs per 1/10 acre, but I think their pretty good considering so far we haven't yet really pulled any of the big crops such as cukes, tomatoes and zucchinis from the garden. (Yeah, I've gotten a few zukes but not too many yet.)
The grand total to date is just shy of 83 lbs of food. (82.87 or 1326-oz's to be really geeky) Most of that has come from strawberries and the heavier spring veggies like carrots and beets, but a good bit of lettuce and greens were brought in as well.

So, how about some numbers then eh? These are by no means all inclusive, but they do give a good idea of what's been producing around here.

• Strawberries.....................................................330 oz's - 20.625 lbs

• Baby Lettuce (mesclun).......................................46 oz's - 2.875 lbs

• Greens (kale, collard, spinach, chard)..............134.5 oz's - 8.406 lbs

• Kohlrabi............................................................60 oz's - 3.75 lbs

• Carrots..............................................................197 oz's - 12.31 lbs

• Peas (shelling)..................................................107 oz - 6.687 lbs

• Peas (Sugar Snap).............................................60 oz's - 3.75 lbs



Well, that gives you a good idea of what's been coming in this spring/early summer. Like I said, the numbers aren't huge but you never really notice how much baby lettuce it actually takes to make a pound of it until you keep track of the actual numbers; another benefit to keeping accurate records. Besides, we aren't vegetarians and the things that we've had come in we've able able to really enjoy on the table and have even put up a few things too.(More to come on that.) We've also had a total of 37 eggs so far since the three mature hens started laying on the 12th of July. The other girls should start around mid month next month, so that'll really help too. Every little bit goes toward our own food Independence, and is a welcome addition to the pantry. You can find my updated totals in the left column under the Big Weigh-In icon. I'll be doing my best to keep that Qty updated even if I don't have a chance to make a big update post.
I Hope all your gardens are blessing you with bounties as well.
Till next time.
P~
P.S. Thank you to Anais at PTF for the nod today. I owe much of my inspiration to you guys!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Is this your first garden? If it is I'd say you're doing quite well. I planted my first garden this year and I have produced a whole bunch of lettuce so far and a few zucchinis. But I have a lot of lettuce that I don't know what to do with. Lettuce isn't easy to preserve. So salads all around, for the next month. Or however long the lettuce lasts.

I have a few tomatoes on their way and some string beans, some carrots in the middle of the beans, and some broccoli that may make it. Also, some watermelon, but I'm not sure.

Next year I'll do better, but this year's garden was pretty experimental.

P~ said...

Nope, It's my forth year in this home, but really the third year of veggie gardening. Lettuce is a tricky one. I ate it everday for lunch with a little chicken or saitan or egg... whatever was left over. It also makes a great gift to the neighbors and is a great way to start to get others interested in growing their own food. Good luck with everything.
P~